Friday, November 13, 2009

Wishing

I just completed my piece for the Bolinas Museum's 21st Annual Miniatures Exhibition. I love the scale of this show - everything is 6 x 6 x 6" or smaller. It's for a good cause - 50% of all sales go to support the museum which is a charming space in West Marin for gathering art and creative people.

The piece here is titled Wishing and is 6 x 6" framed. Lately I am really interested in how art can be used to capture one's wishes, hopes, and aspirations and anchor them in a concrete, visual way that makes the wishes more likely to come true. It is a theme that resonates throughout my series Milagros and is likely to continue in future work of mine.

You could see my piece in person at the Bolinas Musuem from November 21-January 3, 2009 at 48 Wharf Road, Bolinas, CA. For more information, visit www.bolinasmuseum.org.

2 comments:

kay bradner said...

I love this " Lately I am really interested in how art can be used to capture one's wishes, hopes, and aspirations and anchor them in a concrete, visual way that makes the wishes more likely to come true." It is wonderful to have you articulate this in a way that defines from a new point of view, expands and makes clear things I have been thinking about. Thank you. I turned from etchings of dying grandmothers to drawings of babies because I , consciously, was moving to the positive. I thought of it as visualizing but I like "wishing" better. And, as you know, it worked!

Denise | Chez Danisse said...

I'd love to see the Bolinas show, but now that we're back in the city and traveling so much it might not happen this year. Maybe I can still make it work... We'll see. Also, I really like the image of your piece in your Hoilday Art News email. It's beautiful.